Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What Courage is Made Of

Six years ago today my Father lost his 14 month battle with Small Cell Cancer. I will be forever grateful for the nearly 4 weeks that I got to spend with him just 11 days prior to his passing. During that time we had many reminiscant conversations and many others on topics we hadn't talked about before.
If I had to choose only one word to describe him I would say "Patriotic".
When I was young I remember watching him serve with the American Legion during the Memorial Day Ceremonies or the 4th of July Fireworks,
as he stood there for the National Anthem, proud and yet so humble at the same time of the love for his country.
He returned with honor from serving in the United States Navy from Dec. 1954 to Feb. 1957. He was stationed in Kodiak, AK., Fallon, NV. and Vallejo, CA. I had the pleasure of hearing many, many stories from his time in the service and yes many of them I heard over and over through the years. But it was from these stories that many of the "Phil-isms" came to be.
I suppose most children recognize the shortcomings of their parents as I'm sure my children do as well. In spite of whatever shortcomings my father may have had, he and my mother raised us kids to be patriotic, hard working and integrable. I know there were many times in years past that he and I didn't exactly see eye to eye, but those times are so trivial to the relationship that he and I built together over the last decade or so of his life. I love him very much and miss him more than I can express.

2 comments:

Amanda Fleming said...

Your Dad was a neat man. I wish I could have known him better and I wish there had been more time. BUT I am greatful for what I did get to have. Miss both grampa's!

The Fleming Family said...

I miss grandpa terribly! It has been such an honor to be born a Fleming. Maybe one day I'll put together a book of "Phil-isms" and "Wade-isms" and maybe even "Monte-isms", but only if a put a disclaimer on the book first.
-Austin